Re: st: Arranging variables across rows

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Arranging variables across rows
Date   Wed, 27 Jun 2012 18:49:46 +0100

Yes; you are missing sth here, apart from a tacit Statalist convention
that we are not texting each other.

I am not looping across observations, but suffixes of variable names.
Besides, references to variables A and B would fail as ambiguous given
Samuel's explanation that he has variables A1...A19 and B1...B8. Also,
loops 1...19 or 1...8 would fail to do anything to most of Samuel's
12,000 or so observations.

Further, when you say

the macros are declared to substitute "_n" (obs no)

that is not necessarily true. (Where did you read this?)  In Stata
programming practice it is only occasionally true. Macros can stand in
for anything you want that is text.

Nick