Re: st: Arranging variables across rows

From   samuel gyetvay <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Arranging variables across rows
Date   Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:10:52 -0400

Thank you for all your help, I feel I am already making some progress.

I realize, however, that I was not perfectly clear or explicit about
the form or structure of my data. Your responses so far are still very
useful and appropriate.

A1, ... A19, B1, ... B8 are names of (column) variables, each of which
contain ~12,000 entries. There exists a variable that identifies
families, call it fam, although it does not always identify family
uniquely. There does exist a variable that identifies family
respondent, however, call it famr. fam and famr are also column
variables, each of which contain ~12,000 entries.

For the moment, my analysis is quite simple; it only requires some row
and column summation, and the current form of the data is quite nice
for what I have to do (for the most part). Nearly all of the variables
that I need to use are just like A1, ... A19. For example, a set of
variables that identify "sex of child," call them C1, ... C19 overlap
perfectly with A1, ..., A19, and you can easily control for sex of
child when doing row and column summation, because their positions
coincide. For example, the third value of C13 will identify the sex of
the same child as the third value of A13.

B1, ... B8 is the only problematic variable, because it does not
overlap: it merely indicates which child identification number
received treatment. So you cannot use a simple command such as

. count if A`j' == B`j'

Which I can do for other variables. What I would like to do is to
create dummy variables D1, ..., D19 equal to 1 when the child has
received treatment, and 0 otherwise. That way I can use it just like I
used C1, ..., C19.

I apologize for not being more clear from the start, and appreciate
everything you have suggested thus far.

-Sam