Re: st: Regular expressions with locals

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: Regular expressions with locals
Date   Tue, 26 Jun 2012 09:48:32 +0100

For the record, I give an orthodox non-regular expression solution.
This example guesses that (a) Anthony wants to emit the output one
variable at a time (b) he wants variable labels. Either guess could be
wrong, naturally.

* sandpit to play in

set obs 3
gen phstat = _n
forval i = 1/3 {
         gen _Iphstat_`i' = phstat == `i'

* transformation

 forval i = 1/3 {
         local in _Iphstat_`i'
         local out : subinstr local in "_I" ""
         local out : subinstr local out "_" " = "
         label var `in' "`out'"