Re: st: DHS svy questions on weights and merged datasets

From   Julian Doczi <>
Subject   Re: st: DHS svy questions on weights and merged datasets
Date   Fri, 22 Jun 2012 22:17:12 +0800

Dear Mr Samuels / Statalist,

Thank you very much for the response - your advice is incredibly useful!

Just a couple quick follow-ups to clarify (either for you or anyone
else on Statalist):

First, in the link you posted from Stas
(, do I
need to -egen group- the weight variable (v005) by year as well?
(weightXyear?) Or, since both sets (in 1998 and 2008) have means of 1
million and many replicate values already, is it not necessary?

Second, again in Stas' link, he states that I should then carry out
estimation using the following code: - xi: svy : reg response i.year
other controls - . However, I plan to carry out diff-in-diff
regression, which usually takes the form: - svy: reg depvar timedummy
treatmentdummy time*treatmentinteraction - . Considering the need to
already account for the year by using -xi-, does Stas' -i.year- term
conflict with my diff-in-diff -timedummy- term? Do I need both due to
the 'super-strata' nature of this survey, or is one or the other

Thanks again for the very useful assistance!

Julian Doczi (Mr.)
University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.