st: matching within calipers

From   Douglas Levy <douglas_levy@post.harvard.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: matching within calipers
Date   Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:38:47 -0400

I am trying to match data from two files using a time (of day)
variable. However, the two databases are off from one another by a
second or two in either direction.  The error is not consistently in
one direction, so I can't just add a compensating second or two. I've
tried by matching to the minute or even to the "ten minute", but there
are always a few matches on the margins that fail.  Is there a way or
workaround to match within +/- 5 seconds? Thanks. -Doug