AW: st: Using a while loop to compare rows and delete them?

From   KLOSS <>
To   "" <>
Subject   AW: st: Using a while loop to compare rows and delete them?
Date   Thu, 21 Jun 2012 15:06:56 +0200

Dear Brendan,

Thank you for your suggestion. Writing information in the respective rows first and then simply dropping observations according to these row-wise information is indeed much faster than my previous while loop.

Kind Regards,

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [] Im Auftrag von Brendan Halpin
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2012 18:19
Betreff: Re: st: Using a while loop to compare rows and delete them?

I suspect it would be a lot more efficient to avoid using while, and just work with variables. For instance, you could in a first pass define a "situation" variable for all cases, and then process that in a second pass.

If the logic of your code involves dropping cases before later defining the "situation", perhaps you need to identify and drop these cases in a prior pass.

I'm thinking in terms of working like this:

. gen situation = 0
. replace situation = 1 if begepi[`i']!=begepi[`j'] | id[`i']!=id[`j'] . replace situation = 2 if status[`i']==5 & status[`j']==5 & benefit[`i']==1 ///
                                          & situation == 0

and so on.

Brendan Halpin,   Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,   Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147  f +353-61-202569  h +353-61-338562;  Room F1-009 x 3147    ULSociology on Facebook:         twitter:@ULSociology
*   For searches and help try:

Die ifo Niederlassung Dresden gehoert zum:

ifo Institut - Leibniz-Institut fuer Wirtschaftsforschung an der Universitaet Muenchen e.V.
Poschingerstr. 5, 81679 Muenchen,
Sitz: Muenchen, Vereinsregister-Nr.: 4419, Amtsgericht Muenchen,
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Dres. h.c. Hans-Werner Sinn (Praesident), Meinhard Knoche;
Steuernummer 143/217/10159, USt-IdNr. DE129516729