Re: st: Convergence never achieved with MI impute chained

From (Wes Eddings, StataCorp)
Subject   Re: st: Convergence never achieved with MI impute chained
Date   Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:04:34 -0500

Lena Lindbjerg Sperling ( received a
"convergence not achieved" error from -mi impute chained-:

> (snip)

> My MI code looks like this:

> mi impute chained (mlogit) ocu occup ocusec industry (ologit, noimp) edulevel
> (regress) mwage whours =  soc reg gender age urb if lstatus==1 [pweight=wgt],
> chainonly burnin(100) savetrace(impstats, replace) augment

> Any help on why I can never get convergence is very much appreciated!

> (snip)

Lena's imputation problem is a challenging one---there are several categorical
variables, and some variables have many missing values.  To isolate the
convergence error, Lena may re-run -mi impute chained- with the -noisily-
option, which will display the output for each model that is fit.  Lena may then
try to fit the non-convergent model on the observed data, by using the -mi xeq
0:- prefix with, say, the -mlogit- command.  Looking at the observed data may
make it easier to tell how the model should be modified.