Re: st: Replace function

From   daniel klein <klein.daniel.81@googlemail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Replace function
Date   Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:11:22 +0200

Chris,

please read the help files for -if- and -in- qualifiers, where
expressions and ranges are explained, followed by examples.
Additionally, read the help file on -operators-. What you want is

replace sex=1 if id == 1 | id == 3 | id == 4 | id == 7 | id == 9

or, more convenient

replace sex = 1 if inlist(id, 1, 3, 4, 7, 9)

Unlike -replace-, which is a command, -inlist()- is a function.

Best
Daniel

--
Dear Statalisters,

I have a quick question that I cannot seem to find an answer to.

I want to replace the values of a variable only in a specified subset
of observations

For example:

set obs 10
gen id=_n
expand 3
gen sex=0
replace sex=1 if id== 1 3 4 7 9 (I only want to replace the value for
[...]