st: question of ci

From   tashi lama <ltashi32@hotmail.com>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: question of ci
Date   Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:38:27 +0000

Hello,

   I have a question, rather conceptual and might really look silly. But I am trying to understand the basics. Here is my dataset

var1

1

2

3

total var1

          |      Total   Std. Err.     [95% Conf. Interval]
        var1 |          6   1.732051     -1.452413    13.45241

1. As I understand, CI gives us the confidence that the true value resembles the estimate in our test. In this dataset, what does CI mean? In other words, what is the interval saying about the datset. Also, is it assuming that there is a normal distribution?

Thanx as always,

Tashi