st: Latent Growth Curve SEM GUI

From   Carter Rees <>
Subject   st: Latent Growth Curve SEM GUI
Date   Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:19:23 -0500

Using Stata 12 on a Mac.

I have the basic latent growth curve model with 4 time points set up using the SEM GUI. I would like to add one time invariant covariate (gender) to predict the growth factors (intercept and slope) using the GUI. However, each time I try to add this variable either as latent or observed I get the error message "Cannot add path. Target variable will become endogenous and is correlated with exogenous variables". How do I add this via the GUI?

My goal is to replicate the results of an example from MPlus so I can get a better feel for what the Stata code will look like and how the GUI works. No troubles fitting the LGC without the covariate but the covariate is stumping me.

/*LGC without covariate*/
sem (posT1 <- intercept@1 slope@0 _cons@0) ///
(posT2 <- intercept@1 slope@1 _cons@0) ///
(posT3 <- intercept@1 slope@2 _cons@0) ///