RE: st: predetermined variables with xtabond2

From   Søren Møller-Larsson <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: predetermined variables with xtabond2
Date   Fri, 15 Jun 2012 21:15:11 +0200

Dear all

I have put this question forward ones before as seen below, but I still do not quite understand.

Looking at the user-written Stata command -xtabond2- with the two-stage system gmm option. Considering treatment of a predetermined independent variable call it x. I have read the "How to Xtabond..." by Roodman (2009).

Standard treatment is the gmm(x, laglimit(1 .)) option with lag 1 and longer.

Now looking at the -xtabond2- help-file in Stata it reads the following:

"equation() is useful for proper handling of predetermined variables used as IV-style instruments in system GMM.  For example, if x is predetermined, it is a valid instrument for the levels equation since it is assumed to be uncorrelated with the contemporaneous error term.  However, x becomes endogenous in first differences, so D.x is not a valid instrument for the transformed equation.  ivstyle(x) would therefore be inappropriate. The use of x as an IV-style instrument in levels only could be specified by iv(x, eq(level))."

So is this a special case for predetermined variables? Can anybody explain when to use the iv(x, eq(level)) for predetermined variables?

Thank you and enjoy the weekend.

Regards Soren
Aarhus university