RE: st: RE: Insheet Command Problem

From   "Sarah Edgington" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Insheet Command Problem
Date   Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:08:49 -0700

Davia,
I'm pretty sure the "error in line 4508597 of file" is a red herring. The
entire error you're seeing is because specifying fewer variable names than
there are variables in varlist is invalid syntax.  As an experiment I tried
doing the same thing with a csv file that I know works fine with -insheet-
if I don't give a variable list.  When I specified a subset of the variables
in the varlist (that is, when I used the invalid syntax) I got the error
message:
too few variables specified
error in line 2534 of file

Since there are 2,534 lines in the file I was trying to -insheet- my
suspicion is that what Stata is really saying is "I got to the very end of
the file and I still couldn't figure out how you wanted me to fit all these
variables into seven variable names, sorry."

You say that using -insheet- for the whole file "still doesn't seem to
work." What is the actual error message you get?  It sounds like the file is
large enough that maybe it could be a memory issue but it's worth figuring
out if there is some other problem with the file before trying to deal with
that.

-Sarah