st: net from an https site

From   Judson Caskey <Judson.Caskey@mccombs.utexas.edu>
Subject   st: net from an https site
Date   Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:40:38 -0500

I am getting error messages when using "net from" to access a website via https. The site is public and I can access it with my browser, but I get the following errors when trying to access it from Stata:

. net from https://<URL>
unknown network protocol
https:// <URL>
  1)  is not a valid URL, or
  2)  could not be contacted, or
  3)  is not a Stata download site (has no stata.toc file).

Trying http does not work, either:

. net from http:// <URL>
file http:// <URL>/stata.toc not found
server says file temporarily redirected to https:// <URL>/stata.toc