Re: st: Interpreting marginal effects for binary variables in multinomial logit

Subject   Re: st: Interpreting marginal effects for binary variables in multinomial logit
Date   Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:54:53 -0400

Julian Runge <[email protected]>:
Your interpretation sounds correct, but such atmeans marginal effects
are meaningless.
Consider the second command, or equivalently a logit of y==2 on x1 and
x2 binary.
The marginal effect is dp/dX for x1 evaluated at x2==0.7, say.
No one in the data actually has x2==0.7, so comparing predicted probabilities
for x1==0 and x2==0.7 to x1==1 and x2==0.7 makes no real sense.
In practice, you often get something similar to a more sensible marginal effect,
but that does not make it right to compute predictions for a nonlinear model at
covariate patterns that are impossible to observe.

It's not an "average marginal effect at the average" but simply
a "marginal effect at the average" since the other x vars are fixed.
The problem is that average of a vector of binary predictors is a
terrible point at which to evaluate marginal effects.
I.e. your use of the words "for a representative individual"
implies such a person might be 70% a college graduate, or
10% pregnant, for example.

Are the binary x vars related in any way?
Include interactions or other logical dependencies?
If so, you have even worse problems.