RE: st: macro problem

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: macro problem
Date   Mon, 11 Jun 2012 17:29:05 +0100

" " have two roles in Stata; they act as string delimiters (which by default are stripped) and they act as literal characters which you want to preserve as part of a string (in which you often need `" "' as delimiters).

However, this works

. foreach s in "a b" "b c" "c d" {
  2. di "`s'"
  3. }
a b
b c
c d

so maybe something simpler would also work for you.

Jeph Herrin

There is no problem with -strpos-, which never returns missing and which
is zero exactly when I want it to be. The problem was in creating the
original macro and then referencing the elements so that they appear in
-strpos- with the correct number of quotations marks; I was achieving
either too many or too few of the latter.

The solution (or at least, a solution) is for local -matchlist- needed
to be enclosed in compound quotes, and then ditto the reference:

    local matchlist `""string 1" "string 2" "string 3" .... "string 55""'

    gen byte match=0
    foreach S of local matchlist {
         replace match = 1 if strpos(strvar,`"`S'"')
    }

The reference in -strpos- looks wrong to me - I would anticipate that
`S' would include the necessary "'s for -strpos-, but it does not.
Without the extra quotes on the original local, however, `"`S'"'
resolves to include too many "'s.