st: m:m merge using zip codes

From   Bryan Stuart <bastuart@umich.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: m:m merge using zip codes
Date   Mon, 11 Jun 2012 11:45:22 -0400

Hello,

I have two data sets. In one, each row represents a prison. Each prison has
a zip code, but there exist some zip codes with multiple prisons. The other
data set (from geocorr) maps zip codes into PUMAs. Some zip codes map into
multiple PUMAs. Ultimately, I want to connect each prison to a PUMA. Zip
codes are not unique identifiers in either data set.

An m:m merge is undesirable here because it isn't consistent. Simply
appending the datasets together (and then filling in the missing columns)
isn't ideal either, as some prison zip codes are not in the geocorr dataset
(because they are located in rural areas, the Census Bureau doesn't assign
zip codes to some areas).

Any ideas on how to combine these datasets? Thanks!

Bryan Stuart