Re: st: Finite population correction with clustering of SE at a different level than the strata

From   Steve Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: Finite population correction with clustering of SE at a different level than the strata
Date   Sun, 10 Jun 2012 22:18:58 -0400

I should have added: In Stata, you can do the randomization version of any test with -permute-.  Among the tests to consider are the two-sample t-test or a rank test like -kwallis-.   You can compute the CI for a parameter by inverting the test as discussed (briefly) at With 23 villages per group, you will probably need to simulate the p-values for each parameter, and that web page recommends 10,000 replicates for high precision. Also  Roger Newson's -somersd- (from SSC) will compute CIs for Hodges-Lehmean median difference (which is not the same as the difference in medians).

Inference can also be based on the treatment randomization (e.g., no superpopulation needed. Randomization-based hypothesis tests would be done on village-level estimates, and confidence intervals calculated by inverting the tests.

There is, of course, extra information about individual households that can be mined. The village-to-village contamination that Ole reports is a problem for which I have no advice.