st: visual guide to variable transformations?

From   Lloyd Dumont <lloyddumont@yahoo.com>
Subject   st: visual guide to variable transformations?
Date   Thu, 7 Jun 2012 12:10:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, Stalisters.

Does anyone know of a visual guide to variable transformations?  I have seen many decent verbal exlanations of whether, when, and specifically how to transform variables.  But, is there a single resource that shows which transformation is appropriate when.  For example, something like...

When an indep variable is distributed as it is in Figure 1a and is related to the dep var as shown here in Figure 1b, then you should use the _____ transformation.  Then, the transformed indep variable will be displayed as in Figure 1c (which I imagine will almost always be something like a normal distribution) and the relationship between the transformed variable and the dep var will be as displayed in Figure 1d (which I imagine will almost always be linear).

Of course, it all gets a little more complicated if we start talking about transforming the dep var, though this sort of transformation could also easily be displayed and explained visually.

Does anyone know of such a resource?  If not, why not?

Thank you for your thoughts, as always.  Llloyd Dumont