RE: st: imputing dates into a string date

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: imputing dates into a string date
Date   Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:35:13 +0100

I wouldn't do precisely that. There might be dates with missing months too, for all we know. That code would replace "XX/XX" with "01/01". Replacing a missing day with 1 is one thing; replacing a missing month with January messes up the data. So, ever picky, I recommend instead

g dx_clean = subinstr(dx, "XX", "01", 1)

daniel klein

this is (probably) much simpler than you might assume. All you need to
type is the one line

g dx_clean = subinstr(dx, "XX", "01", .)

Substitute -g dx_clean- in the code with -replace dx- if you want to
change your original variable.

Hi all,
[...]
This is working fine, until I come across a date that actually starts like this:

xx/01/2010

Then my code to generate a date returns a blank. What I would like to
do is add in something that allows me to evaluate whether the day is
xx and if so, insert 01.