st: conditional option in mi ice or ice

From   David Sikkink <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: conditional option in mi ice or ice
Date   Wed, 6 Jun 2012 14:02:52 -0400

The conditional option in ice and mi ice is returning the following error:

"varlist not allowed"

Here is my syntax:

ice age attend hapmar , conditional(hapmar: if marital == 1) clear

I am running the latest version of ice in Stata 12 SE. If I run "mi ice" instead  of ice (after using mi set mlong), I get the same error message.

The help file for ice gives this example:

ice age pregnant female, conditional(pregnant: female==1) clear

Can't see that I am doing anything different than what is shown in the example.

Thanks for any help you can offer.