Re: st: could you please verify the correctness of the code?-tsfill function

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: could you please verify the correctness of the code?-tsfill function
Date   Wed, 6 Jun 2012 08:55:45 +0100

The flavour of this is now not about Stata but about whether you are
making the right substantive decision on what to do with your data. I
am not an economist and not familiar with the pertinent literature,
but you cannot be the first person to be faced with this problem that
prices in different places are observed on different dates. So, what
else do people do?

Your solution is Procrustean in forcing dates on to a grid. Daily
dates that round to the same floor(date/28) could be up to 27 days
apart, so with what you do I think you need to calculate the error
(real date - gridded date) and talk about its distribution.

One alternative is to interpolate the prices to a shared set of dates.

Another is to take what you have and calculate monthly average prices
and also report how many prices those averages are based on. You will
still have gaps and may well need to interpolate too.

As I've said many times on this list, Statalist may not serve well the
expectations of those list members who want to be told how best to
analyse their data. I keep wondering whether the response to thesis
examiners/committee members or paper reviewers to "Why did you do
that?" is going to be "Oh, that was what recommended on an internet
discussion list by one person who answered my question".

Nick