st: RE: keep only one observation

From   "Sarah Edgington" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: keep only one observation
Date   Tue, 5 Jun 2012 14:45:15 -0700

Lars,
To get a sequence number within ID and date you'd want
bysort id date_var : gen seq=_n

The syntax you used makes sure that date_var is sorted within id but doesn't
group by date when assigning seq.  If I understand you correctly, you
actually want to define groups in terms of dates within IDs.

To keep just the last observation for a date you could do
bysort id date_var: keep if _n==_N

That saves you the step of creating the seq number separately.  Of course,
if you want to make sure you understand exactly what's happening you
probably don't want to jump straight to that.  To see what's actually
happening, try this:
bysort id date_var : gen seq=_n
bysort id date_var : gen max=_N
mark keep if seq==max

I think that gets you where you're trying to go.

-Sarah