st: data type of variables when using odbc to import

From   tashi lama <ltashi32@hotmail.com>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: data type of variables when using odbc to import
Date   Mon, 4 Jun 2012 18:30:07 +0000

Hello all,

    I use odbc command to import data into stata from mysql database . Everytime I import date in stata, stata assigns imported date as type numeric, and type string  to another variable whose contents are purely numrical. Does anyone know how stata categorizes the variables' data type while importing? Or can I make date as type string everytime I import date from mysql.

Thanx,

Tashi