RE: st: RE: Problem with ivreg2 for Panel data

Subject   RE: st: RE: Problem with ivreg2 for Panel data
Date   Mon, 4 Jun 2012 14:13:21 +0100

Abubakr,

In a word, yes.  If you use the FE estimator, you will not be able to obtain an estimate of the coefficient on your time-invariant leverage measure.  You need an estimator that uses between-variation to identify that coefficient.

> or should I estimate with  xtivreg , and run xtoverid for
> J-stats, but how can I get the Hausman test (that is
> achievable with ivendog with
> ivreg2 for cross-sectional data) and F-stat.

An estimation strategy you might consider is discussed somewhere in Angrist & Pischke, Mostly Harmless Econometrics (Princeton University Press 2009).  (Sorry, I can't remember exactly where.)  Part of the procedure in assembling the Hausman-Taylor estimator uses this procedure.  It goes something like this:

1.  Use the FE estimator to obtain estimates of beta_fe, the coefficients on the time-varying regressors x_it.  This step will, by the way, also give you a J/overidentification test stat for your endogenous regressors.

2.  Use the estimated beta_fe, the regressors x_it and the dependent variable y_it to calculate

d_it = y_it - x_it'beta_fe

3.  Apply the between estimator to

d_it = f_i'deta_be + u_it

where f_i is your time-invariant regressor (leverage, in your case) and delta_be is the corresponding coefficient.

An advantage of this procedure - depending on your priors about how serious a problem unobserved time-invariant heterogeneity may be - is that you are using the between-variation only where it is absolutely essential, i.e., in the estimation of the coefficient delta_be.

Cheers,
Mark