st: RE: Problem with ivreg2 for Panel data

From   "Schaffer, Mark E" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Problem with ivreg2 for Panel data
Date   Sun, 3 Jun 2012 22:31:41 +0100

You have the same problem that Benjamin had, discussed here:

Your only option is to use an estimator that exploits "between"
(cross-sectional)  variation.  Examples are the between estimator and
the random effects estimator.  Also...

> I have few questions in this regard:
> 1) Can I use ivreg2 for the Panel data, since Help file says:
> "ivreg2 may be used with time-series or panel data, in which
> case the data must be tsset before using ivreg2"-- but
> running this after setting tsset, I am not getting the same
> results as with xtivreg, why?, Is is normal?

-ivreg2- on panel data estimates pooled OLS or IV.  -xtivreg- estimates
error components models, e.g., fixed effects, G2LS, EC2SLS etc.

> 2) I can not use xtivreg2, since explanatory variable is time
> invariate, xtivreg2 drops it.

See above.  That's because -xtivreg2- estimates only fixed effects and
first differences models.

> 3) I prefer to use xtivreg and I have estimated the equation
> with it but how can I get the F-statistics, and Hansen-J
> statistics while using xtivreg.
> Any response will be much appreciated.
> Regards,
> Abubakr Saeed
> PhD student
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012

registered under charity number SC000278.