st: Descriptive statistics - counting aspects of a variable

From   Amal Khanolkar <Amal.Khanolkar@ki.se>
Subject   st: Descriptive statistics - counting aspects of a variable
Date   Sun, 3 Jun 2012 14:24:07 +0000

Hello all,

I have a variable XX that describes various diagnoses that my subjects might have. Diagnoses are coded using the usual ICD 8-10 codes. While most diagnoses are just numerical, some end with an alphabet, for e.g. 618A or 720H.

I can ask Stata to tell me how many subjects in my dataset have diagnoses 618 by:

count if XX==616

However how do I find out how many have a diagnoses with numbers in combination with letters (like 618A). Stata isn't able to tell me using the 'count' or 'sum' commands as above.

Thanks,

/Amal.