st: scalar and others...

From   tashi lama <ltashi32@hotmail.com>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: scalar and others...
Date   Sun, 3 Jun 2012 13:21:06 +0000

Hello,

    I am reading An Introduction to Stata Programming. I came across with this thing and I am not too sure I understood.

1. the author recommends using built in functions to interpreted codes like egen. Could someone tell me what is an interpreted code and how is it different from built in codes like generate and replace?

2. I read somewhere(sorry for vaguness) that  scalar is global in scope yet the book doesn't mention about it while describing scalar. I guess my question is if scalar is local or global in scope?

Thanx a lot as always....

Tashi