Re: st: problem using -clock- with military time

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: problem using -clock- with military time
Date   Sat, 2 Jun 2012 09:30:21 +0100

There are many other ways of tackling this problem. Here are a few
more comments. Others should be able to suggest yet more.

The question was posed as one of inserting a "0" after the space
whenever the second part of the date is too short, i.e. three digits
not four.

That means we should focus on identifying the space and inserting the
"0", which in Stata just means changing " " to " 0", as there isn't an
"insert in string" function. (There isn't a "delete from string"
function, either: both can be just special cases of -subinstr()-.)

The assumption is that there should be precisely one space.

replace Arrive = trim(itrim(Arrive))

does our best to make that so. -trim()- removes any leading or
trailing spaces, while -itrim()- reduces all multiple internal spaces
to single spaces. That -itrim()- didn't appear in the previous
posting. I feel comfortable with making any such changes as they can't
affect the meaning of a date string. Those concerned with absolute
data integrity should work with a copy of the original variable.

We should check that there is precisely one space. After what we have
just done, and in any case, that would mean that there are precisely
two words. In Stata, words are whatever are separated by spaces
(except that " " and `" "' bind tighter than spaces separate), so
"frog toad" are two words, and so are "123 456" and "2011/04/06 1630".
 Stata has a -wordcount()- function, so we can go

assert wordcount(Arrived) == 2

asserts that that is so, and you will get an error message if it
isn't. (The principle is, very much, "No news is good news", but if
there is bad news, there are fixes needed.) Many Stata beginners would
do here something like this

gen nwords = wordcount(Arrived)
tab nwords

but for problems like this you don't need a new variable and you can
insist Stata does the checking. (Conversely, there are more open-ended
problems in which looking at the patterns shown by the table is
exactly the right thing to do.) As there can be only two words

replace Arrived = subinstr(Arrived, " ", " 0", 1) if
length(word(Arrived, 2)) == 3

is an alternative to what was posted previously.

Another way to think about it is that it appears that there are two
kinds of date, long and short, so we could work with
-length(Arrived)-, which should be 15 or 14. For problems like this, I
tend to copy and paste examples and feed them to -display-, as in

. di length("2011/04/06 1630")
15

because Stata is better at counting than I am. So -if length(Arrived)
== 14- identifies short dates that need fixing.

Nick