Re: st: Mixed model for longitudinal data: Time discrete or continuous?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Mixed model for longitudinal data: Time discrete or continuous?
Date   Fri, 1 Jun 2012 11:15:14 +0100

This is really a question about the science behind your data. The
difference is between fitting a term linear in time (and possibly one
squared in time)  and a more general but less parsimonious treatment
of time. Which makes most sense depends on what you think is the
better representation of your generating process. Another answer is
try them both and see which works better. This is likely to sound
flippant, but I don't see how your formulation lets us advise you well
on what is better for your data and your research problem.

Nick