Re: st: RE: RE: Residuals in svy:intreg

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: Residuals in svy:intreg
Date   Fri, 1 Jun 2012 09:55:08 +0100

I can't add much to my previous answer. Clearly you have in mind that
censoring complicates things. But what does "OK" mean here? That it is
technically correct? That you cannot be misled? That someone in
authority might object or assert that you are wrong? I think it
depends what you are doing, in what circumstances, and who is judging
on what criteria.

For example, I think it can be helpful to look at residual plots.
Frequently they don't help, but when they do, it is in an important
way.

Some economists (in particular) seem to object to anything that is not
a formal test as arbitrary, subjective and lacking in rigour. So, they
don't seem to do things like that.

But I can see that any formal procedure that treats residuals from an
interval regression and ignores their origin is likely to be suspect.

Nick