st: wildcard in numeric variable

From   Colin Campbell <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: wildcard in numeric variable
Date   Fri, 1 Jun 2012 01:40:38 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Statalist,

I have a dataset in which a numeric variable cv contains values that need to be coded as missing.
There are a variety of numeric values 9999, 99999, 999999 etc that need to be recoded.
While I could replace each value individually, I wondered if there is a way to use wildcards with numeric variables such that e.g.

    replace numvar =. if numvar == 9999*

would work. I have a workaround using string variables as follows

    tostring cv, gen(cv_str)
    gen cv_mis = regexm(cv_str, "9999")
    replace cv =. if cv_mis ==1
    drop cv_mis cv_str

Is there a more elegant way to achieve this without resorting to strings?

Many thanks