Re: st: Comparing multiple means with survey data--revisited

Subject   Re: st: Comparing multiple means with survey data--revisited
Date   Wed, 30 May 2012 12:25:32 -0400

Correction:

"foreach x of local levels {"

not

"foreach x of local(levels) {"

On May 30, 2012, at 12:05 PM, Steve Samuels wrote:

Rieza:

The means are negative and so don't appear to be "ordinary" descriptive
statistics. Only you can say whether the purpose of the table is descriptive of a population (so that tests are not appropriate) or whether some causal hypothesis is in play (eg. "that such-and-such an intervention will show stronger effects for higher levels of variable B and for variable A").

The patterns are very clear:
1. Means increase with row number.
2. In each row, first column means are higher than third column means.

Confidence intervals for differences are okay for descriptive tables, but even if
there is a hypothesis floating around, such intervals would just confuse things here.
There would be a minimum of 15 if you did separate tests in each row, and 105
if all pairwise comparisons in the table are considered. Note that your -test-
statement tested equality of three means, not of two.

I do suggest that you add standard errors to the table.

Some alternative code:

*********************
// convert variable names to lower case for easier typing
rename VARIABLE_*, lower

svy: mean variable_a, over(variable_b variable_c)

For easier copying, you can get the columns of the table with the
following code.

levelsof variable_b, local(levels)
foreach x of local levels {
di "variable_b = `x'"
svy, subpop(if variable_b==`x'): mean variable_a, over(variable_c)

For correct standard errors, use the -subpop- option to subset data, not the -if- qualifier.

Steve
[email protected]