st: Rankings according to percentiles

From   "Fabian Schönenberger" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Rankings according to percentiles
Date   Wed, 30 May 2012 16:51:32 +0200

Dear Statalist
I am struggeling with the following problem:
I have a panel data set consisting of companies (id) and different fundamental variables (for instance leverage ratio) for different point in times (t). In order to analyse how certain factors correspond with others (for instance leverage ratio with cash reserves), I would like to assign to each observation (leverage ratio at a specific point in time) the corresponding percentile rank. Afterwards, I can analyse if with increasing leverage ratio (percentile ranks) the cash ratios increase, too. With this approach I avoid errors-in-variables bias.
One way would be to take the percentile ranks from the command summarize and assign with if formulas each observation to the rank. Are there other more direct ways to do that?

Any suggestions highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Fabian