RE: st: Is it valid to use the individual ratios (i.e. Xi/Yi) in the dependent or independent part of a regression model?

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Is it valid to use the individual ratios (i.e. Xi/Yi) in the dependent or independent part of a regression model?
Date   Mon, 28 May 2012 20:37:29 -0400

Jinn-Yuh,

I would suggest you have a look at the following as well:

Bradshaw, Y., & Radbill, L. (1987). Method and Substance in the Use of Ratio Variables. American Sociological Review,52(1), 132-135.

Firebaugh, G. (1988). The Ratio Variables Hoax in Political Science. American Journal of Political Science, 32(2), 523-535.

Liu, Y., & Schutz, R.W. (2003). Statistical validity of using ratio variables in human kinetics research. Research Quarterly in Exercise and Sport, 74(3), 226-235.

Liermann, M., Steel, A., Rosing, M., & Guttorp, P. (2004). Random denominators and the analysis of ratio data. Environmental and Ecological Statistics, 11(1), 55-71.

Cam