RE: st: Stata and CPu usage

From   Mukund Chari <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stata and CPu usage
Date   Mon, 28 May 2012 23:05:19 +0000

Hello Tunga,

 Nick is probably right.

 You might also want to consider whether the routine you are executing (lpoly in your case) is:

a) Parallelizable: certain algorithms need to run serially, and cannot be parallelized. You might want to check if this is true in the case of lpoly.
b) If this routine is parallelizable, whether Stata implements a parallelized version of the routine in the Multi-Processor version. If not, getting this to run on a MP version might not help.

Best,
Mukund.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Sanders
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2012 1:45 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Stata and CPu usage

Hello Tunga,

I'm not a Windows user myself (so I can't verify this is how Windows Task Manager expresses CPU usage), but this is my guess:

1) The total processor power available to you, given a Core 2 Duo, is X
2) The power of one of those two processors is then X/2
3) Stata/SE can only use one processor at a time (given it isn't Stata/MP)
4) 50% is actually Stata/SE using the full power of one of your two processors

Might that be the case?

-Nick