Re: st: Is it valid to use the individual ratios (i.e. Xi/Yi) in the dependent or independent part of a regression model?

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Is it valid to use the individual ratios (i.e. Xi/Yi) in the dependent or independent part of a regression model?
Date   Mon, 28 May 2012 22:47:24 +0800

1. Why is the ACR of a group of patients not a ratio distribution?
2. The coefficient of variation is always higher for the ratio (X/Y)
than for either X or Y (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17434158).
3. In the PREVEND (Prevention of Renal and Vascular End-stage Disease)
study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22383750):
1) The hazard ratio (95% CI) for predicting CV events were 1.41 (1.25,
1.58) for spot urine ACR, 1.26 (1.1, 1.43) for spot urine urinary
albumin concentration, and 1.16 (1.01, 1.32) for the reciprocal of
spot urine creatinine, respectively. The 95% CI of the three HR
overlapped (i.e. the three HR were similar) although the author
claimed that ACR predicts better than either urinary albumin or
urinary creatinine.
2) Body weight, 24 hour-urinary creatinine excretion, age and gender
predict ACR independent of 24 hour-urinary albumin excretion. In other
words, 24 hour-urinary albumin excretion is not the only determinant
of ACR.
4. In "Ratio index variables or ANCOVA? Fisher's cats revisited
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19337988), Tu YK cautioned about
the use of ratios wherever the underlying biological relationships
among epidemiological variables are unclear (urinary concentration is
not the only determinant of urinary creatinine in this case), and
hence the choice of statistical model is also unclear.

Jinn-Yuh