Re: st: Dependent ordered variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Dependent ordered variable
Date   Mon, 28 May 2012 09:07:40 +0100

This seems to be a question about an ordered _independent_ variable.
(Like David Hoaglin and many others I don't use that term willingly,
and here's another reason: it's so easy to confuse dependent and
independent.)

I guess willdly that there is a substantial literature in your field
discussing how to turn credit rating into a numerical score. I guess
this because even as an outsider it's easy to imagine dozens
(hundreds, thousands...) of studies wanting to use credit rating as a
predictor just like you. Whether that's a good idea I couldn't say,
but my point is simply that there must be a literature on this.
Expecting Statalist to stand in for a basic literature search is not a
good idea.

-xi3- is a user-written program from ?. From what I recall it can't
add to what is possible with -xi:-. In fact, (1), (2) and (3) look
essentially the same with the correction that credit rating would need
to be handled as a series of indicator variables. (I don't willingly
use the name dummy variable, so it's so often misinterpreted by
non-statistical people.)

Nick