Re: st: Is it valid to use the individual ratios (i.e. Xi/Yi) in the dependent or independent part of a regression model?

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Is it valid to use the individual ratios (i.e. Xi/Yi) in the dependent or independent part of a regression model?
Date   Sun, 27 May 2012 07:35:51 -0400

Dear Jinn-Yuh,

My answer is, "It depends."

In an earlier message, you explained that ACR is used to standardize
urinary concentration (of urinary albumin, I think) to ensure
comparability of albuminuria among individual
patients.  "Standardize" may be a bit too strong; it may be that
dividing by urinary creatinine merely adjusts for variation among
patients.

If ACR is the variable that clinicians work with, you can definitely
use ACR as either the dependent variable or an explanatory variable.

Sometimes it is preferable to work with concentration data in a log
scale (either explicitly or by leaning on the -poisson- command to use
quasi-likelihood to fit a linear predictor in the log scale without
transforming the data --- the latter approach is a separate
discussion, and I won't pursue it here).

One can use regression for a variety of purposes.  You may be
interested mainly in prediction, or in the values of one of the
coefficients in the regression (for example, how ACR varies with
cholesterol when you adjust for the contributions of age and gender).
(These two do not exhaust the list of purposes.)  A regression model
for either of these purposes could have ACR as the dependent variable.
 Depending on the research that led to the use (adoption?) of ACR, it
might also be instructive to use urinary albumin as the dependent
variable and urinary creatinine as one of the explanatory variables.
I could also see working with log(ACR) and with log(urinary albumin)
and log(urinary creatinine) in parallel analyses.

I'm not familiar with the physiology, so I don't know whether it is
meaningful to have ACR as the dependent variable and cholesterol as an
explanatory variable and also to have cholesterol as the dependent
variable and ACR (or urinary albumin and urinary creatinine) as an
explanatory variable.  As an explanatory variable, ACR is one function
of urinary albumin and urinary creatinine; but you could reasonably
consider other functions, such as the linear combination of urinary
albumin and urinary creatinine that arises from using those two as
explanatory variables or the nonlinear function in which the
explanatory variables in that part of the model are urinary albumin,
urinary creatinine, and their product (for this version, it would be a
good idea to center the two variables by subtracting suitable values
before taking their product).

I have focused mainly on model building.  That is probably the main
issue.  Fortunately, you have enough data (about 500 patients) to
develop a reasonable model.  You may have been looking for a
straightforward answer, and I have given you a rather complicated one.
 In practice, careful analyses of data are seldom simple.  In this
instance, if you are not already familiar with regression diagnostics,
it would be worthwhile to learn about them.  They should be helpful as
you proceed with the analysis of your data.

David Hoaglin