Re: st: xtreg fixed effects

From   Chelsea Garneau <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtreg fixed effects
Date   Tue, 22 May 2012 10:40:26 -0400

Hi Alexander,

I am running xtreg with children in families, with the majority of the
sample only having 1 child per family.  I have received consultation
in this issue, as it was initially a concern of mine as well.  Though
I can't describe the answer to you in the most sophisticated
statistical language, I do believe that using xt commands will account
for the clustering where it exists, taking into account the variation
within clusters with more than 1 observation.  My model is has a
random effect for variation within families, thus the clustering or
dependency in the data is accounted for by the model and the fixed
effects represent more of a population-average effect which is
interpreted as differences across families, regardless of the size of
the level-2 cluster.

I hope this helps, but my short answer is I believe you are fine and
it is not a mistake.  If you don't want clusters with only 1
observation in the analyses, you will have to take them out yourself.

Best,
Chelsea