st: collapsed categorical data analysis

From   Douglas Levy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: collapsed categorical data analysis
Date   Tue, 22 May 2012 09:23:03 -0400

Hi,
I have data describing individuals' purchases across three categories,
X, Y, and Z. The data are expressed as percentages. Outcomes for
person i at time t are Pr(Y=1)[it], Pr(X=1)[it], and Pr(Z=1)[it]. The
three probabilities sum to 1. What is the best way to see if the
distribution of purchases changes from one time period to another? Is
MANOVA appropriate here (I have never used/learned MANOVA, so I am
naive to its proper application). Other thoughts? Analyzing the three
outcomes individually is reasonably straightforward, but making the
right choice for an analysis of all three together is less clear to
me. Thanks for any advice.
Best,
Doug