Re: st: Interpretation of Interaction terms in log-lin

From   Lukas Borkowski <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interpretation of Interaction terms in log-lin
Date   Tue, 22 May 2012 13:04:32 +0200

Dear David,

thanks for your quick reply. To get a little bit more into details:

I am investigating the effect of emigration rates (x1) on GDP per capita (y) and use balanced two time period panel. My assumption is that the effect of emigration rates is different when looking at different World Bank income classes, so x2 is a dummy that equals 1 for low-income countries and 0 else. I have several different dummies for all the income classes and some other subsamples.

So I want to interpret the effect of emigration rates on GDP per capita for high-income countries, the differences in this effect between low incomce countries and the reference group (high-income countries) and the overall effect of emigration rates on GDP per capita for low-income countries.

What I have done so far is to calculate exp(ß1) to get the effect for high-income countries, exp(ß3) to get the differences between low- and high-income countries and exp(ß1+ß3) to get the overall effect of emigration rates on GDP per capita for low-income countries. I am just interested in the slopes, the intercept is of no value to me!

So is that correct? How would I interpret exp(ß3)? For exp(ß3) = 1,20, is then that the effect is 20% stronger in low-income countries compared to high-income countries?
Is exp(ß1+ß3) the correct way to see the overall effect or should I compute exp(ß1)+exp(ß3) ?

Regards

#
Lukas Borkowski