RE: st: How to handle large (or small) odds ratios

From   Tim Evans <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: How to handle large (or small) odds ratios
Date   Fri, 18 May 2012 13:21:32 +0100

David,

Yes I agree; having the very useful 'other'(!!) group would allow me to combined categories with small numbers together - but I guess this can lead to a rather mixed bag.

Thanks once again.

Best wishes

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of David Hoaglin
Sent: 18 May 2012 13:17
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: How to handle large (or small) odds ratios

Hi, Tim.

Thanks for the update.

When a category contains a small number of observations, it is often
necessary to combine it with other categories.

Regards,

David

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Tim Evans <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for your response - my table formatting was not quite like that when it was sent!
>
> Having reviewed the data behind the analysis, Ive decided the prudent approach is to remove the staging analysis for those particular adjusted O/Rs as they were based on small numbers. I've also had a look at:
>
> 'How should one interpret 1.00E+00 as the LCI and UCI for Complex mixed
> and stromal?  Is the standard error of that OR so small that the LCI
> and UCI both round to 1.00?  Many other CIs are fairly wide.'
>
> Again, having looked at the number of cases, they are based upon either a single case, or a very small fraction of the total and appear to be behaving in the exact manner as the reference group. Given the apparent lack of robustness here, I've removed these also.
>
> Thanks for helping me to see the obvious. The results I have now are much more sensible.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Tim

_DISCLAIMER:
This email and any attachments hereto contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be confidential or legally privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail and you are not the intended recipient(s), please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail or any attachments, as this may be unlawful.