Re: st: SE and CI by mrtab

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: SE and CI by mrtab
Date   Tue, 15 May 2012 10:17:18 +0100

That sounds a plausible first approximation, but the data generation
process varies. To make matters concrete, let's imagine a question
asked of n persons:

Which statistical software do you use routinely?

However, the protocol can vary:

1. People can name as many distinct programs as they like.

2. People should name precisely k distinct programs. (Perhaps a bit
unlikely with this particular question, but bear with me.)

3. People may name up to k distinct programs.

1', 2', 3'. As above, but the order of mention is important.

In practice these protocols all lead to datasets in which responses
are stored as several variables for analysis. (The exception in which
(e.g.) "Stata R SAS" is packed into a single string variable is not
much of an exception, as the contents need to be unpacked to do much
with them.)

Now, it seems key to me that the number of persons is an upper limit
on the number of mentions of a particular program, so the percent of
mentions of a particular answer is not bounded by 100, but by a lower
limit. (What to do about the enthusiast who says "Stata Stata Stata"
is a practical point, just as what to do about the enthusiast who says
"Manchester City".)

Also, although this may well be a much smaller point, the
interpretation of missing values differs between these protocols.

Nick