Re: st: mata function for "lookup" or find rank if observation not in the ranked sample

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mata function for "lookup" or find rank if observation not in the ranked sample
Date   Mon, 14 May 2012 22:31:02 -0400

To follow-up on this:

I figured out a way with permutation functions, though it is messy
(FWIW, I paste it below).

More importantly, I was surprised to see that even in samples of 50K,
I suffered significant performance losses compared to minindexing over
entire N-vectors. I know minindex is built-in, pure C etc., but is it
reasonable that it can beat simple (well, simplish) lookup and some
logical checks, and a minindex over a much shorter vector?

I would very much appreciate some StataCorp comments on this. I
invested a bit into this new approach (more complicated from
cross-treatment matching) for coding (one-dimensional) matching, and
I'm surprised by the result.

Thanks,

Laszlo

***** Code with some explanation:
instead of simply using this to match treated observations close to
the treated in question:
minindex(abs(psc1:-psc1[i]),L,yki,ykw)

I do some work first out of the loop:
	psc1order1 = order(psc1,1)
	psc1invorder1 = invorder(psc1order1)

and then guess that the closest L (plus ties) might be in the 2L
closest observation below or above the rank of the current observation
in the ranking:
	for ( lcl = 2*L; lcl<= 2*n1;lcl=2* lcl) {
		if (lcl > n1) {
			minindex(abs(psc1:-psc1[i]),L,yki,ykw)
			break
		}
		else {
			matchcandidateindices = psc1order1[|
max((psc1invorder1[i]-lcl,1)),1 \ min((psc1invorder1[i]+lcl,n1)),1|]
			minindex(abs(psc1[matchcandidateindices]:-psc1[i]),L,yki,ykw)
			if ( anyof(yki,1) | anyof(yki,rows(matchcandidateindices))) {
				continue
			}
			else {
				yki = matchcandidateindices[yki]