Re: st: Poisson and marginal effects

From   Jeffrey Wooldridge <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Poisson and marginal effects
Date   Sun, 13 May 2012 18:41:13 -0400

In Poisson regression the average partial effect of a continuous
variable is just the sample average of y times the coefficient.
Naturally, it is harder for a discrete change. There is makes sense to
obtain the predicted value at the two different settings of the
explanatory variable, with other variables evaluated at their observed
values, and average the difference.

The reason this is not regularly done in Poisson regression is that
the coefficients have interpretations as percentage changes.