Re: st: Scatterplot matrix

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Scatterplot matrix
Date   Sun, 13 May 2012 08:48:47 +0100

Statalist convention is that you are assumed to be using Stata 12.1,
unless your declare otherwise. Hence consult [G] graph matrix and its
references for more detail. A .pdf copy is included with your Stata.

But the main idea is very simple. A scatterplot matrix is just a table
of scatter plots such that the same y variable is on each row and the
same x variable is on each column. Thus you can add to the
interpretation of each individual plot some sense of how each data
point relates to others, for example, by identifying outliers on
either y or x axes and tracing them from plot to plot. A simple tip is
to call -graph matrix- such that the response or outcome of most
interest (if there is one) is named last; then it will plotted on the
last y axis, which will seem natural.

Nick