st: Interactions using xtlogit

From   "Sturrock, Hugh" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Interactions using xtlogit
Date   Wed, 9 May 2012 22:33:01 +0000

Hi,

I am running a random effects model to model infection data (IsPos) using the xtlogit command and want to include an interaction between 2 categorical variables, one with 3 groups (Dist) and the other with 2 groups (Local). I'd ideally like a single p-value to tell me whether the association between IsPos and Dist is modified by Local.

Assuming ID is the household level ID I'm clustering by, if I run the following

xi:xtlogit IsPos i.Dist*i.Local, i(ID) or

I get two interaction terms DistxLoc_2_2 and DistxLoc_3_2. To see if there is an overall interaction occurring I've used the command

test DistxLoc_2_2 DistxLoc_3_2

My question is, is this the correct approach? Also, when do you use # instead of * to indicate an interaction? Also, if I wanted to make some other pairwise comparisons between interaction groups (i.e. DistxLoc_1_1 with DistxLoc_1_2) how would I do it?

If anyone can comment I would be hugely grateful!
Thanks, Hugh

Dr Hugh Sturrock, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow
Malaria Elimination Initiative