Re: st: which -cmp- option to use for poisson model with count data?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: which -cmp- option to use for poisson model with count data?
Date   Mon, 7 May 2012 16:14:08 +0100

I don't want to repeat previous comments, but you introduce a new issue here

In essence, independence is everywhere assumed in statistics unless it
is explicit that there is dependence. The models discussed in this
thread _all_ are based on an assumption of independence. If you have a
serious issue of dependence that has to be modelled explicitly. There
is no sense in which the assumption of independence is special to
Poisson and somehow not made or not so important in other models. What
may be at fault here are many introductory or intermediate treatments
that fail to spell out that independence is assumed whenever it is.

You can't just say credibly that a counted distribution that is 0 up
"follows a normal distribution". At most such a distribution may be
roughly symmetric about its mean, which _in some circumstances_ might
be the most important detail. (It's how means behave which is the most
important issue determining whether many models might be useful.) But
the qualifications are vitally important too.

Nick