Re: st: which -cmp- option to use for poisson model with count data?

From   "Laura R." <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: which -cmp- option to use for poisson model with count data?
Date   Wed, 2 May 2012 17:44:09 +0200

Ok, so I leave the variable ranging from 0 to 5, and 0 would be
included as an outcome in -poisson-

However, as you (all) suggested, I should neither use -poisson- nor
-ologit-. Which model would you suggest?

Nick, do you mean I should use a negative binomial model? Why? And how
do I do that in Stata? And in -cmp-?

By the way, there is an example in Statalist archives, where the
number of kids is used in the -cmp- model, and it is treated as
-oprobit- (if I am right that the variable "kids" is the number of
kids).

Isn't my number of experts similar to the number of kids? It cannot be
less than 0, but it is usually not more than 8 or so.

(this is the example:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-02/msg00636.html)

Thanks for your consideration!

Laura