RE: st: Parametric survival analysis with competing risks

From   "Hinchliffe, Sally R." <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Parametric survival analysis with competing risks
Date   Wed, 2 May 2012 09:08:23 +0100

Dear Paul,

I think you have misunderstood my work. The slides given in the link attempt to simplify some of the concepts of competing risks. When I presented these I actually went into more detail.

What you are suggesting would not work unless you observe no censoring in your data. So for example, if we had a cohort of patients that are followed for a period of 5 years and there was no censoring within that five year period other than administrative censoring. By administrative censoring I mean a patient being censored if they have not had an event by the end of the 5 year follow-up period.

In this scenario, if we were considering an event of interest and one competing event, then patients that experience the competing event will have their event time inflated to 5 years which would have been their administrative censoring time.

However, in most data we actually observe some censoring. In this case, patients that experience the competing event could actually have had a chance of being censored before the end of the 5 year follow-up period had they not experienced this event. Therefore, by just inflating their time to five years we are not accounting for the censoring distribution in the data.

Kind Regards

Sally Hinchliffe